If you are interesting in find a good way to strengthen your core muscles and attain better balance, other than doing plank poses, then consider getting yourself a good balance board. These are sometimes called wobble boards, since that’s what they make you do when you first start using them.
However, do not confuse a balance board with a balance ball, wobble cushion or balance disc. As you can see, there are a lot of different types of balance trainers on the market, but today at Andy’s Fitness Hub we will be focusing only on balance roller boards, which look a lot like a skateboard or mini-surfboard.
Top 10 Best Balance Roller Boards 2015 - 2016
9 Reasons Why You Should Use A Balance Board
As you may already know, a balance board is good for surfing and stand up paddle boarding training since it focuses on the muscles that you need to use out on the water. But, you don’t need to be a surfer or paddleboarder to benefit from balance training. In fact, this small piece of home exercise gear is perfect for everyone – including senior citizens!
Here are nine reasons why you need to add a balance board to your home gym and strength training regimen.
- It gives you stronger core muscles – using one of these helps you to focus on core stabilization, which means that you benefit from better posture, as well as better athletic performance.
- It reduces your injury risk – a Washington Post article notes that if you don’t work on your balance, then you are prone to falls later in life.
- It focus on minor muscle groups – with most workouts, the same muscles are targeted over and over, which leaves some minor muscle groups that rarely get exercised. A balance board targets those often forgotten muscle groups, which gives you more toning and overall strength.
- It’s good for your brain – it take a lot of mental focus to stay balanced, especially when you first start using a balance board. Regular use of one exercises the brain and results in better brain and body communication.
- It gives you a competitive edge – since you’re improving your balance and working often neglected muscle groups, it boosts your overall athletic performance. This gives you an edge against competitors.
- It burns more calories – since you use your body weight to stay balanced, you end up burning a lot more calories on a balance board than you would expect due to the resistance.
- It is a low-impact activity – since stability is required, you don’t end up with a lot of jarring movements, which is perfect for people who need low-impact activities. That is one reason why balance boards are so great for older people.
- It boosts hip stability – as you balance, especially on just one leg, you end up with better trunk and pelvic girdle stability.
- It helps you recover from an injury – after an ankle, hip, knee or spine injury, regular use of a balance board can strengthen the injured area and give you an improved range of motion.
Balance Board Reviews
If you’ve looked at our list of the top roller boards for the money in 2015, then you might be having a little trouble narrowing down the choices to just one. That is why we want to help you out by reviewing the board that we think is the best roller balance board for the money right now.
Revolution 101 Balance Board Trainer Review
Out of all the roller boards listed above, the one that offers the most value for the money is definitely the Revolution 101 Balance Board Trainer. This board is one that we’ve reviewed highly with our top rating! It has a very affordable price and it is made in America, if that is important to you.
Basically, you get a high quality balance board that will look great in your home gym. It is made from 11-ply hardwood with a nice finish and clean design. The actually roller piece is lightweight bur durable and it doesn’t make a lot of noise or cause vibrations.
It is perfect for beginners and intermediate users. And, it can be use as part of all different types of fitness routines like:
- paddle boarding
- strength training
- general fitness
And the weight limit for this roller balance board is 300 lbs. The top is covered in a soft foam, so you can comfortably use it with your bare feet. And, the board can be safely used on hardwood floors as well as thin carpeted floors. As for safety, it does have plastic guards on the sides so that the roller piece doesn’t come out from under the board.
This is definitely a great piece of fitness equipment. You can even use it while watching television!
Types of Balance Boards
As previously mentioned, there are a few different types of balance boards on the market. We want to give you a quick glance at these types and their differences so that you’ll know if any of the roller boards listed above are a good choice for your fitness goals.
Wobble boards – these boards a typically round in appearance with the only point of contact with the ground being a small dome situated in the center of the board on the bottom side. You can tip, or wobble, in any direction on this board. These are probably the most common type of balance trainers out there and are often seen in gyms and fitness centers.
Rocker boards – these boards can only move from side-to-side and from front-to-back. You’ll find that this type of board is not as challenging as a wobble board, which makes it good for beginners and the elderly.
Roller boards – these are the boards that you see in the list at the top of the page. They move in the same directions as a rocker boards and the difference between the two is that roller boards sit on a cylinder that also moves. The constant change in the point of balance makes these perfect for those who want to train for water sports likes surfing. They are definitely more challenging to use, but also quite fun.
Balance pads – these are just simple foam pads that work on your balance by offering an uneven surface. They are very cheap, very low tech and very easy to use for lots of exercises.
Balance discs – these are similar to balance pads except they are inflated to have a bit more rounded shape. Normally you can control how inflated or deflated they are, which lets you change up your balance workout.
Balance ball pods – these are sometimes called balance ball trainers, balance pods or just balance trainers. They have a flat bottom and a raise half-ball shape that is filled with air like a full-size balance ball. These are very common and you’ve probably seen them in a gym or fitness center. They are good for balance workouts of all levels.